The bargaining committee recommends a YES vote on the agreement.
Ballots will be available to members at Jeff Letofsky’s desk after 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, and all day Monday at Gayle Perez’s desk. Those that are not yet members of the union can sign a membership card and authorization of dues, and vote on the agreement.
Under the agreement, furlough days will be reduced from 12 to two per year. The 10 eliminated days of furlough are being spread though out the year by a one and one-half hour reduction in weekly schedules. Beginning in 2014, employees will be scheduled 38.5 hour workweeks, four 8 hour shifts and one 6.5 hour shift.
Hourly wages will remain unchanged. Weekly pay will go down due to the reduction from forty to 38.5 hour schedules. But annual pay will go up by the amount of two hours’ pay because employees will wok two more hours per year.
Other changes include
- A reduced minimum scale for new newsroom employees.
- Limits on copy editor and pagination pay.
- The cash-out of unused 2013 vacation.
- A new requirement that all vacation must be used during the calendar year.
- Reduced vacation accrual for new employees.
- An increase in health insurance premium share paid by employees for single coverage and a decrease for family coverage.
- Reduced sick leave – eight days per year.
- Short term disability insurance that will substantially replace the reduction I sick leave.
- Reduced mileage reimbursement – IRS rate less 22 cents per mile.
Printed copies of the tentative agreement are available from the bargaining committee members. To receive an emailed copy of the agreement, contact Marge Strescino at email@example.com.
The union’s bargaining team includes Marge Strescino, Jeff Letofsky, Gayle Perez and Tony Mulligan.
The company’s bargaining team includes Ray Stafford, Steve Henson, Martha Eller, Brianna Ferran, Phil Ruegg and Chad Orvis.