MANAGEMENT AND NEWSROOM Guild representatives met Thursday morning in the opening session of collective bargaining. It will not be feasible to give complete details of everything we discuss during bargaining, but here is an overview of what we talked about today.
Both sides agreed to use a collaborative bargaining process. This would be similar to what we used for our current contract. It allows us to concentrate on solutions rather than intractable positions.
The company opened by identifying three key areas they would like to explore including:
- Flexibility allowing the company to adjust newsroom operations during the contract period
- The local pension plan and 401(k)
- The role of seniority in the layoff process
The union presented a list of issues, including:
- YourHub wage scales and opportunities
- Fully unionizing the newsroom
- Evolution of our jobs including assignments, tools, training and time
Both sides indicated there are additional issues they would like to discuss.
We are scheduled to meet again Friday morning.
Become part of the conversation by leaving a comment below.