DENVER NEWSPAPER GUILD and Denver Post representatives met April 11.
Management explained their proposal regarding sales support work. Management proposed to eliminate the positions of Sales Assistant and Media Sales Coordinator and to create a new position called Multimedia Sales Coordinator to perform the combined work. Currently, there are 12 Sales Assistants and eight Media Sales Coordinators. Under their proposal:
- There would be 12 positions, resulting in the reduction of eight employees.
- Incumbent employees who are interested in the new position would need to apply and interview for the position.
- Current employees who are hired would be placed on a 90 day probation period that could be extended 45 days.
- The position would pay $20 an hour.
- Current employees who are hired would be grandfathered at their current pay rate if that rate is higher than the new pay rate.
- Those employees who don’t apply or are not selected for the position and those who don’t make it through probation would be paid severance.
Union committee members voiced their opinion that 12 people would not be enough to perform the work and argued that requiring current employees to apply for the jobs was not appropriate.
The issue will be further discussed at a later date.